Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Laundry Day


I was doing my laundry for what seems like the 800th time this month (I have no idea where all my clothes go) , when I had an epiphany. As I was hanging up the pieces of my clothing with special drying instructions, it hit me.

We're like pieces of clothing.

Some of us are like a sturdy t-shirt that you can give just the plain no frills wash and the occasional dryer sheet, and you're good to go.

Some of us have to be hand washed, or washed with like colors. Some need cold or warm water, some need the gentle cycle.

And some of us need to be laid flat or hung up to dry.

I fall in the last category. I'm the garment that needs to have the wrinkles smoothed out of it and shaped so that it doesn't dry looking all funky. I'm coming to accept that I'm a freaking high maintenance piece of clothing. It takes a little bit more for me to come out looking good.

Some people wake up looking good, but I have to do this long list of things. Wash the face, brush the teeth, moisturize, foundation, powder, bronzer, blush, eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara, lip gloss. That's not even getting in to the whole hair territory or the stock of items needed to keep my hair from frizzing out.

Sorry for the rant, sometimes I just get tired of the whole process. But after all, aren't some of our favorite items the ones that have special washing instructions?

No comments: