Thursday, June 4, 2009

Learning to Leap

Life is never how we plan it to be. I always told myself that I would pay for college using revenue from my first best-selling novel. After I started taking drum lessons, I thought I could be this amazing drummer for a Grammy-winning all girl rock band. Obviously none of these things have happened, although I still maintain high hopes for the first one. The point is, our plans don't always happen. Things change, we get new dreams. Whether because we realize that our current dreams are impossible, or we find something else we want even more.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, as I am teaching a lesson on Sunday that has similar themes. Things don't work out the way we picture them. I never thought that I'd have the life I have. It's a good life and I am grateful for it, but in all honesty, if I was given the opportunity to pick and choose what happened to me there would definitely be some things that would not be repeated.

We get disappointed and hurt and sad. That's life. Through my experiences I've learned that denying that things aren't the way you want them to be is pretty useless. You only feel sad and end up having to meet with a D.A. about truancy. That's a story for another day :).

I just felt the need to remind everyone that there are so many other beautiful ways are lives can go than the way we planned them. I'm still learning this, it's sometimes a difficult concept to grasp.

Heavenly Father knows what's up. He's not going to give us a crappy life that we can't possibly work with. He's going to give us rich lives full of amazing opportunities and laughter.

You know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men...
Our plans may go awry, but the Lord knows what He's doing. We need to remember that.

No comments: