Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Rejuvenate

Do you ever have one of those days where you just get charged up? Everything's not perfect, but you feel this affirmation that you're on the right track? I had one of those days today, and it was great.

I've been thinking a lot lately that I might not have what it takes to be an writer and get published. Whenever I hear someone's work or read a book, I think about how much better they are than I am.

This hit hard when a girl in my class, my age, announced she had had her first book published. I felt lazy and small. That was supposed to me. I told anyone that would listen growing up, that I was going to pay for college with the proceeds from my best selling novel. Maybe I can pay off college with the proceeds from my best selling novel.

My teacher picked a draft of my story as one of his favorites and read it in front of the class today. He gushed about what he loved, and everyone else gave good comments as well. It rejuvenated me. I'm revved up. 7 pages down, 263 to go. I'm coming!

UPDATE: Not that this in any way diminishes her accomplishments, but the girl in my class self-published her book. Meaning she had to pay someone to publish it. That makes me feel a little better... :)

1 comment:

Karen said...

I'm getting in line to read your first novel...I know it is going to be great