Monday, February 8, 2010

Time

I was walking to class today, just looking around at all the people, who like me are here to get an education. All 20-somethings getting trained in their various fields to hit the work force. 20 years from now, there will be another set of 20-somethings getting an education.

Time moves quickly. This June, it will be 3 years since I graduated from high school. I'm 20 years old. I'm in the 6th semester of my college career. 5 years from now, I could be married ( hopefully!) and be a mother. I could have a book published! 20 years from now, I could have kids in high school.

I started thinking about the things my current peers could accomplish in the future. Maybe one of them will design the next great feat in architecture. Another might grow to be our next major political leader. All this potential to be shared.

Do you ever think about stuff like this? How time moves so fast? How we have the potential to do these amazing things?

Right now I'm just this undergrad studying English hoping to make some kind of an impact in the future. But I could potentially be the mother of the person who cures cancer or paints the next Mona Lisa.

How do you deal with that? All that potential? How do people not freak out about all the crazy things that can happen in the future? I'm excited but nervous. What if I have those amazing kids and I mess up? That would suck for the people of the future with cancer.

Just some of the thoughts I had in the 5 minutes I was walking from my car to my class. My mind moves fast...

No comments: