Sunday, March 7, 2010

Silence

The darkened hallway that leads to slumbering roommates

As I sit at the kitchen table waiting for the microwave to produce my food, I'm surrounded by silence. Sunday afternoons at any college apartment are the quietest than any other day of the week. This is the time of the Sunday nap.

As I write this now, all of my roommates are currently slumbering away in their rooms. My head has yet to nuzzle my pillow. I just finished watching Australia for like the 5th time. It gets better every time I watch it.

But back to the silence. I enjoy it. And being surrounded by 5 other roommates, it is hard to come by. I like being able to sit and bask. It's a treasured time for me.

I can think about anything I want, just let my thoughts meander where they will. I think ahead to the time when I'll have my own apartment, and can enjoy the quiet whenever. I think even further ahead when things will be so noisy and chaotic that I will think about offering up my first born for a moment's peace.

I can't wait for those days.


No comments: