Saturday, July 10, 2010

Cakes

This is a picture of my Fiesta! Royal Icing cake, it was a really time intensive cake, but overall a cool experience. I think it turned out pretty cool.
I made maracas, and strings of confetti. I also have royal icing primrose, wild rose,and violet flowers on the cake. The side is a butter cream basket weave with a rope border. It was really fun to see it all come together.




A couple weeks ago my roommate Stacy's boyfriend, Ryan, turned 26, and she asked me to help her make a cake for his surprise party. Ryan has a pet hamster that Stacy gave him when she got tired of having a pet, and Ryan loves him so we wanted to do a fondant hamster eating the cake.
When we started out we were a lot more ambitious. We wanted to have the hamster standing up with cake in his hand and a nibbled on circuit board (Ryan's in the engineering program here) with another hamster trying to scramble up the side.

Our fondant turned out to be a little to soft and we didn't have enough time to fix it, so we scaled back our plan and made it like this. I baked and iced the cake, and Stacy made the fondant hamster.

He still loved it and it turned out pretty cute for the time we had to complete it.

No comments: