Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Art Feeling


So I'm in this Flower Arranging class. And if you're my Facebook friend, then you know sometimes I complain that we don't always discuss flowers. Today turned into one of those days. We started out learning about how silk flowers are made. We watched a video of factory workers in Asia.

In the video, the narrator said not to think of them as slave labor because they earn 4 times as much as their parents did.

After the video our professor posed a question to us.

"Do you agree with that? Do you think they're being treated as slave labor or are you okay with it?"

Thus prompted group discussions that led into other topics and to the story of our "art feeling".

Our teacher spoke of a professor he had once in college that questioned him about how he was inspired,how he liked to create etc. She called it your "art feeling". He asked us how we like to create, about what inspires us.


Our assignment for next class is to write about our "art feeling" and to research the origins of a product we've always been curious about.

I'd thought I'd take a second to write about my "art feeling".

I see inspiration in every situation. As a writer, I am constantly observing what is going on around me. What people are saying, how they are walking and the way they are dressed. I look at how they react to each other, and their hand gestures. I find it fascinating that we each relate to others differently.

Often snippets of scenes, like in a movie, scroll through my mind. Many of these scenarios are written in my notebook of possible story ideas.

I love color. And texture, and pattern, and combinations with gusto. I especially love lace, and sparkles, and bows, and soft pinks. They feel ultra feminine, and I like it. I see things like that and feel more in tune with myself as a female. I'm not saying that if you don't like that stuff you're not girly, I guess I'm just super girly.

I love to create things. To build something up from nothing. I like the feeling of success, the joy of completing something and trying something new.

I feel this compulsion to make things, to create. It's like a pulsing in my heart. If I could do nothing but craft and write and bake all day every day, I would be incandescently happy.


Music inspires me, it gives me a rhythm to my creating, but silence inspires me also. Staring out a window to the world beyond, just sitting there is when I feel most connected to this world. I watch the goings on and marvel that we are living on a creation, that we are creations ourselves.


It's been said before, but it's never really sunk in before. As human beings, the need to create is inherent in us. As children of God, the ultimate creator, he wants us to be like him. He wants us to create and learn for ourselves. To share our talents with others. I love it. It makes my stomach feel fuzzy and warm.


I learn more about my Heavenly Father as I make things. I feel a smidgen of what He felt after He created us at the completion of a project.

I don't know if I'm articulating myself in a way you understand. Creation is God's gift to us. We should use it. Go forth and figure out what you love, what inspires you.

3 comments:

Hannah said...

I love it and I whole-heartedly agree.

webster said...

Love it! THanks for sharing!

Julie said...

Roxy's onesies! Sooo cute