Friday, January 14, 2011

14 years...

So today marks 14 years ago that our house burned down. It doesn't feel like that long. I still remember waiting outside, watching the smoke stream off of our roof, not knowing what would happen.

I was in the 2nd grade, awake getting ready for school. Our clothes were fluffing up and getting a blast of heat in the dryer out in the garage. It was January and it was really cold outside.

When it was all said and done, we were lucky. Incredibly blessed that we were all awake when the fire started. It spread so quickly that the outcome could have been quite different had we been asleep.

Our dryer caught on fire. Apparently, you're supposed to clean the back panels and make sure they're free of lint. So get on that if you were blissfully ignorant about that little tidbit. It lit up our garage. Burning family photos and many memories. My baby pictures included. I have very few photos of myself as a youngster, and that makes me sad.

We got to sit in the police chief's car as firefighters battled the flames. He had a phone in his car( big business in those days), that we were able to use to call family and friends. They closed our street, and anyone that knows Foxworthy, knows that it is a main thoroughfare. 4 or 5 firetrucks surrounded our little 1 story home.

We lived with my dad's parents for the 9 months or so our house was being worked on (we had a really sucky construction company that I hope has gone out of business since). We got to know them better, and rebuild our house in the way we wanted. We lived and realized that material things aren't as important (gasp) as we thought.

Like my uncle, Dave, likes to say, "That's like a blessing in disguise." And it was.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I don't even know what to say...except that was beautiful, and you're right. I've never experienced it, but I love your attitude...you could still be bitter about it but you're not. Why? Because you're Kristi and you're awesome.