Thursday, October 6, 2011

Evolution

The propensity for change that we, as humans, have has always amazed me. The idea that the things that we once loved so much, mean next to nothing to us now, is fascinating. Hairstyles come and go, Hollywood crushes fade, and sometimes that desire to collect trickles off.

We evolve. We grow. That which we once thought was the only thing we would ever love turns out not to be the end all be all.

When I was 10 years old, I was convinced that there would never be a time in the future that I wouldn't LOVE Pokemon cards. I was obsessed. I wasn't one of the posers either. I could battle. I laid out my energies like they were going out of style, blasting rival players with attack after attack.
Vulpix was always one of my fave Pokemon's. She kind of cute, no?

Every Friday after school, Ian, Katie, and I would walk down to Collector's Choice and buy a pack of Pokemon cards. Hoping that in said pack was a holographic card, or that it had a tiny star in the bottom right corner, hailing it a rare and sought-after Pokemon.

That box of cards that I so carefully and lovingly watched over as a youngster has been shoved under my bed. My money goes towards different things now. Books, clothes, music. Not better or worse passions, just different.

Music, I think, is where my tastes have really changed. In middle school and high school, you couldn't have paid me to listen to any slow songs. I was all about the drum beat and guitar riffs. The louder the better. I liked to hear the music pulsing. It felt alive some how.

I'm not sure when that changed, college maybe. There are sometimes that all I need to make it through the day is a soothing croon from Missy Higgins. The tinkling on piano keys or the smooth twang of a guitar. These songs feed my soul.

I'll hear a song and listen to it on repeat, unable to not have the sound surrounding me. Katie, more than anyone, has noticed my palette change.  When we listen to my iPod while cleaning the kitchen and one of my smooth tunes comes on, she says, "Your music is weird." And it might be. It probably is weird. I just know that I need it.

Songs 1-4 and 11 were my angsty tunes that I loved when I was "angry" at the world. 5-10 are some of the chill beats that I love dearly now a'days. (I still kind of  dig the angsty tunes, )



Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

 

  

2 comments:

Julie said...

Ha ha. Chris still totally loves pokemon. He plays the no-friend-o (nintendo) version. Also, Roxy is kind of a hard core rocker. She was rocking out to all your old music. That music really brings me back to high school. P.S. I love "Falling Slowly". We used to dance to that song in my modern dance classes at BYU.

Corrine said...

awe vulpix was always my favorite as well!