Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Impact

When I was a senior in high school, every student had to complete The Power of One project in order to graduate. This included a report using a specific individual to answer the question , "Does one individual have the power to change the world?" We were allowed to agree or disagree with the question, but our research needed to culminate in a 15+ page report and a 20 minute presentation given to our peers.

I chose Alice Paul, an American suffragette , who fought for a woman's right to vote.  She was an integral part to bringing about the 19th amendment. You all should check out Iron Jawed Angels, it was one of my favorite movies in high school.

I believe that one person does have the power to change the world. I believe that we all have that want, that need, inside of us to leave a mark. We want to leave something behind, to show that we were here.

It's human of us to want to leave a legacy. When I die , I want to have done something important, something worthwhile. It doesn't even have to be big. Just something that changed because of me.

All the greats in the world were just one man or woman. The marks they left started as ideas, as desires to make things different than they already were.

So do it. Get an idea and change the world. See the potential and make it happen. We all have a mark to leave, a gift to give. Let's get moving.

1 comment:

Corrine said...

This is so true! :)