Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Generation Fruitcake


No, the title is not a politically incorrect dig at the current events in our country, it pertains to a pretty hysterical family dinner.
This past Sunday, my family and my grandparents went to my Aunt Amy's house for dinner. Some how our conversation turned to fruitcake and how much my grandparents love it at the holidays. The rest of us were a lot less definitive.

In the words of one of my favorite comedians, Mr. Jim Gaffigan. "Fruit good, cake great, fruitcake, nasty crap. What goes in to fruitcake? Anything but fruit?"

Anywho, my aunt brought up an interesting idea. She was wondering how successful fruitcake would be in the next 15 years or so, seeing as fruitcake is generally more beloved by our older citizens. Who, after these ilustrious fruitcake eaters are gone, would buy this treat?

Of course my grandparents protested that they weren't the only one's that liked it, and that a certain brand of fruitcake sells out in like October or something. So we went searching for this life-altering fruitcake , Benson's fruitcake,on the internet and amongst our searchings we found a nurse desperately searching for a Benson's fruitcake. She could not find it anywhere.

Fast forward a couple paragraphs and it comes out that this nurse wants the fruitcake for one of her patients, and elderly woman living in an assisted living home.

So we were pretty much cracking up. 10 minutes after we had laid out our thesis, evidence fell right into our laps. I'm sure it seems funnier to my family, but it will definitely go down as a Wallwork Classic moment.

No comments: