Sunday, December 21, 2008

It Takes a Village

This past weekend I've had the opportunity to spend some time with close friends and family. Having been living in a new place where I know few people, it is easy to forget how it feels to actually be known by people. To visit with someone who knows you. Someone who knows your favorite color or what you want to be when you grow up, to just feel that connection.

I like that connection, and it might seem a little self-centered, but I like when people pay attention to me. Not like I'm-the-only-person-of-importance attention, but like I'm-important-enough-to-have-your-attention attention. Does that make sense?

When you talk to someone that knows you, not only do you get that conversation, but you have all the previous memories as well. Like being benched together, game nights, late-night sleepovers, jokes, and embarassing stuff too.

It's startling to realize how much the people around us influence and shape who we become, to really see how individuals impact a life. Every person in my life has rubbed a little of themselves off on me.

My family has taught me to laugh and respect myself. I've grown up in a family where if you can't laugh at yourself, you're going to be crying by yourself. There was a time when I hated that, but now it's one of the things I like most about my family. We laugh with and at each other.

Likewise laughing with my friends is my favorite. While Buddy the Elf says smiling is his favorite, laughing is my favorite. We can just laugh and laugh, but at the same time we can talk too.

I appreciate all those who have infulenced me. Like they say, it takes a village to raise a child, and I had one heck of a village.

No comments: