Thursday, January 22, 2009

In Love With the Past


I have this fascination with things old. Old photographs, old jewelery, old clothes...the list is endless. I've always dreamed of living in a manor like the homes read about in Pride and Prejudice and Mansfield Park. It could be a minor estate, I'm not looking for extreme grandeur, just a little bit. I can just picture myself reading a book in the rose garden and writing masterful pieces of literature in the library.

Just think of all the history and character a house like that has, all the scenes those walls have witnessed. The politely snide comments from the society ladies, the children escaping from their tutors, and the local gentry waltzing at the weekend ball. I love it.If I ever get uber rich, like ridiculously, disgustingly rich, after I pay off all my schooling, and put aside some money to take care of my family, pay tithing, and maybe buy Katie a necklace or something, I'm going to find me a house like that, or build one.

It's one of my new dreams, along with losing 80 million pounds and marrying a hottie with a rockin bod and a sense of humor. All the change that I collect in my Something Pretty jar is going to go towards this house. I mean, can you think of anything prettier?

4 comments:

Jenae and Mario said...

your funny i can picture all of it. When you have the house can we come stay?

Toni Lynn said...

Can we be roommates? My hottie husband and I can live on one end of the house and you guys can have the other. Then when we have company over we can make politely snide comments about other people and make fun of the ugly necklace you bought Katie which she just absolutely loves. Can we dance like they did back then too? Pleeeeeeeease? I would be more inclined to dance at dances if people danced like they did then.

Kristi said...

Um, yes to everyone! I'll have house parties every week and we'll have balls every weekend and we'll waltz and do all those other fun partner dances!

Stacey said...

I so wish I grew up in another time. Dancing like they do in P & P. Everyone has the same dance memorized. There's no bumpin' and grindin' if you know what I mean. It does look like they could get dizzy, but what fun it would be to dance for hours and look so pretty doing it.

I'm with you on the old stuff. I say that I have vintage blood running through my body. My most precious items are the oldest things I own.