Friday, May 8, 2009

Le Boulanger

My loaf is the smaller looking one in the back. As it turns out, my score marks were better...

As of today, I am one step closer to being a baker. I made my first loaf of French bread and it was very tasty! My lab partner, Lulu, and I had some pretty cool adventures in the kitchen today.

First, our digital scale wasn't working right, so we poured 5 oz of sugar instead of .5 oz (Apparently, there's a big difference ;) ) in to our mixing bowl. Being the quick thinkers that we are, we decided to just scrape off the top layer and compensate for the flour that came out with the sugar.

Well, it turns out that this was a blessing in disguise because with the added prep time this pretty much ensured that our dough was finished last. Thus, by the time our bread was rolled, shaped, scored, and ready to go in the oven, some loaves were already coming out.

Our loaves, double panned and waiting to go in to the oven.
Some of these loaves had burnt bottoms( This reminded me of my dad always saying "My biscuits are burning! My biscuits are burning! Haha, sorry.), seeing this my teacher mentioned that he likes to double pan his loaves to prevent that very thing. Wonder of wonders, we hadn't put our bread in yet, so we were able to double pan ours!Others were jealous to say the least.
Lulu and I have decided to take it slow on other lab days as well, so that we can be sure to glean all that we can from the mistakes of our classmates before potentially messing up our own product.
Lulu putting a water wash on her bread.

Lulu took more pictures on her camera, and when I get those I will post some of them.

Happy early Mother's Day to everyone!!!

No comments: