Sunday, December 6, 2009

(Good) Ghost of Christmas Past

Love him!
Since Christmas is my favorite time of year, I want to look back on my favorite holiday memories and share them with you.

So throughout the month of December, I will be writing down my favorite holiday happenings from my life. I want to relive the spirit of them all and get amped for this year's season.

My Brown Teddy Bear Stocking
This object is intrinsically tied to my Christmas experience. With his black eyes and nose, wearing a Santa hat, he always offered unknown treasure. After all the presents were unwrapped and the gifts given out, my brown teddy bear stocking still had vast depths that I had not yet plundered.

Inside there would be candy. Mostly chocolate, but occasionally hard candies and a candy cane. Most of the time there was nail polish and fun hair things. And gift cards. Always gift cards. For months after Christmas is over, he's sat on my nightstand, serving as my candy receptacle. Offering me a nightly sweet before drifting off to slumber.

I loved looking at that stocking all year. I see him and I think of Christmas morning. I think of ripped wrapping paper and a roaring fire. I think of bed head and morning breath and the crisp air on a just awoken body. This bear is as much a part of Christmas to me as a tree is.

My mom always asks me if I want the toy soldier stocking, or the brown teddy bear. I reply the same way every year, " The brown teddy bear one. Always."


**I'll post a picture of my well-loved friend when I get home for break**

No comments: