Friday, February 26, 2010

Seriously!?


I was driving home from the store a couple days ago and I heard this song on the radio.It's called Bedrock by Young Money and Lloyd. These are some of the lyrics...

[Lloyd]
(Okay)
Ooh Baby,
I Be Stuck To You,
Like Glue Baby,
Wanna Spend It All On You,
Baby,
My Room Is The G Spot,
Call Me Mr. Flintstone,
I Can Make Your Bed Rock (oooh..)
I-I-I I Can Make Your Bed Rock(oh ho oh...)
I-I-I I Can Make Your Bed Rock Girl
I-I-I I Can Make Your Bed Rock
I-I-I I Can Make Your Bed Rock

Does that not sicken anybody else? These were some of the milder lyrics, too. No surprise it's on the iTunes top 10 most downloaded songs list right now.

For me personally, as I listened to this song, I pictured some guy saying this to a girl, as a way to represent himself to her. "Hey, yo. My name is Lloyd, and I can make your bed rock." What girl in her right mind wants that? I want someone to say, " Hi, my name is so and so, and I want to make you laugh," or something equally adorable.

I don't want you to think that I'm writing this casting judgment on the people that love these kind of songs, because I'm not.

I'm not perfect. I swear occasionally, and often find pleasure in listening to some songs that probably aren't sterling examples. But it's crap like this that goes too far. Girls wonder why guys today are so rude and lame, and it's because of crap like this. These songs come out and we love them, they get popular, and a month later next objectifying song comes out and we love it too!

We need to change what we think are great songs. "Hey Jude" is a great song. "Carry On My Wayward Son" is a great song. "They Weren't There" is a great song. "Bedrock" is crap.

3 comments:

craig shipley said...

Hi, my name is Craig Shipley, and I'm here to make you laugh.

craig shipley said...

p.s. love this post. so true. such crap. now we need a post about "3" from b. spears....

C.Briney said...

KRISTI. i totally hate this song and this station here i feel like every time i turn on the radio, they are playing it. i always scoff and change the station as fast as i can. so glad someone else hates this song too!