Saturday, November 29, 2008

Things on my Christmas list this year....

When I walk outside and feel the biting chill against my face I am reminded that Christmas and winter are forthcoming. The leaves are changing and falling to the ground, the sun sets earlier and the sky is no longer a sunny blue every day. Stores put up their Christmas displays and carols can be heard on the radio, heralding the ever approaching arrival of Christmas.

Christmas
has always been my favorite holiday. Not just because of the gifts that I receive, although who am I to refuse that which my family wants to bestow upon me? :) But also because of the spirit it invokes in me. I love getting out the Christmas decorations and unwrapping things I haven't seen since the year before, when I unwrapped them last. The discovery of the ornament I made in kindergarten always makes me smile, likewise with my hand-print wreath. The dozen or so water globes that my mom has collected are an integral part of my Christmas experience. I love to walk around the room and twist the knob on each one and listen to the music play. Sitting in a dark living room, watching a blazing fire in the fireplace while Christmas tunes play in the background is a yearly thing for me. I love lining up in the hallway Christmas morning, youngest to oldest, before entering the living room. You can see how Katie, being the oldest, might hate this last tradition.

Christmas is all about memories. At least mine is. I love to remember Christmases past, the things we did, the people we saw, and the memories we made. Like the time my dad couldn't wait until Christmas morning for us to have our presents, so he woke me and Katie up at like 12:30 or something and told us that Santa had come early. I love the time when our family went to Disneyland for Christmas with the Condie’s. I loved their faces even more when we pulled up and they realized that we were coming too. I love reading the Bible story in Luke about the birth of Christ.

Sure, I love presents, but I love remembering more. So this holiday season, remember what makes your Christmas, or whichever holiday you observe, special. It's not the gifts, it's the memories you make.

Not to totally negate the idea of gift giving, here's what I'm hoping will end up under my tree this year.I am in college after all, and need all the help I can get... :) And yes I do realize none of these are really educational, although I've learned some pretty cool stuff from Bones...





2 comments:

netfandu said...

hi i see ur blog . this is really good . keep it up.
visit ma blog .this is www.netfandu.blogspot.com
i m interested in link exchange. with u think? tell me......

Jenae and Mario said...

nice post! I think you will make a great writer. When you write your first book remember i'm your friend and sign it for me. Nice story about disneyland. We were so excited to go and then when we saw you guys we almost crapped our pants. Nothing is better than disneyland with the wallworks!