Thursday, January 1, 2009

And A Happy New Year!!

Julie, Katie, and I post-dance party

So this post may be a little long (as all my posts seem to be) as I want to pay tribute to a fun New Year's Eve and a beloved cousin who turned 21 today.

After a fun Mexican dinner at my Aunt Karen's house with the rest of the family. My sister Katie, Julie(the beloved cousin) and Chris ( the boyfriend of the beloved cousin) went to the YSA New Year's Eve dance. We made a late appearance and only danced for an hour or so, but it was a lot of fun.

At said dance the clock struck midnight and new year's eve turned in to new year's day and Julie's 21st birthday.

Some of my best new year's memories growing up were made with Julie. For many years growing up Katie and I would spend New Year's at Julie's house, sleeping over for her birthday party. We would get treats and all curl up in the living room beside Aunt Shelly's piano and watch Grease on the little TV that was brought out about once a year.

It's amazing when I watch Grease as an adult, all the things that didn't understand as a child. I had no idea what a hickey was or why Rizzo would be getting one from Kinicke.

After the musical finished we would play truth or dare and when the clock struck 12 we would run around her court outside screaming and banging on pots and pans heralding the new year. We would try to stay up as late as we could and giggle into the wee hours of the morning.

It's been some time since we have been able to spend new year's together, and times are noticeably different. Instead of giggling about boys in Grease, we are talking about the boys in our lives( or the lack thereof in my case) , and about how scary the future seems sometimes. We grew up talking about how we wanted our weddings to be, and the events that seemed so far off as a child seem to be more likely in the coming future. It's a different dynamic to our relationship, but it seems like a natural progression.

We were blessed to be born so close together in age, and to be fast friends as children. I've always counted Julie as one of my best friends and favorite people. I'm glad that she has such great people in her life and hope that she has a fantastic birthday! I love you Julie!!!.


Katie and I
Me, Julie, Chris, and Katie at the dance
Picking up Chris and Julie
Our eyes look rockin, I had to post it...

3 comments:

Stacey said...

You all look beautiful. Wish I could be young and single again! For a night :) I love my family too much to go back and do it again.

Gonna miss you girls! I'm glad we got to get to know each other better.

Good luck finding a ride to school!!

Stacey said...

Oh and Jonas loved on your dad again tonight. He climbed all over him. So cute.

Julie said...

Kristi, that was so sweet! Thank you! I just loved hanging out with you girls during the break, and I'm really sad I missed you when you were in Provo! I can't wait till the next time we are together! Hopefully it will be sooner than later. Love ya!!