Saturday, May 2, 2009

Martha Stewart Watch Out!!

A salt pretzel on the left , cinnamon sugar on the right.
I'm am well on my way to becoming the next big thing in the cooking and overall craftiness industry. With all the cool stuff I'm learning in my baking and sewing classes I am almost unstoppable! Until we get to sewing zippers, that part may prove a hindrance to the rise of my Fortune 500 company.

For our first baking lab we made some really delicious Amish Pretzels! I have no idea what the Amish do to their pretzels that the rest of the world does not, but whatever it is I'm a fan!!!

It was way fun wearing my chef coat for the first time and can't wait until next Friday when I get to make French bread.

I also made lava cakes again at the request of my roommate Kelli, she's a huge fan. Shout out again, to my aunt, Amy, who gave me this wonderful and scrumptious recipe. I love it!!! I think that makes twice in one week that those tasty cakes were devoured by the girls of Apt# 110.

It kind of blows my mind, learning about all this stuff that is supposedly all domestic and housewife-ish. A lot of people equate being a housewife as not a real job or of less status, but let me tell you, it's serious business! I'm not even working with the added stress of an actual spouse or kids to deal with. But sewing is not an easy skill, or baking for that matter, to master.

My baking textbook reads like I'm taking a math course. There are intense conversions and scaling and proofing to manage. And have you ever seen all the buttons on a sewing machine? It looks more like the dashboard of a space rocket, and not a contraption designed to stitch fabric together. Even differentiating between jersey and interlock knit is a little bit intense.

My hat goes off to the women of old and of today that have mastered these skills. That's some serious dedication and effort.

Homemakers of the world, I salute you!

No comments: