Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Confession


I'm a little bit of an eavesdropper (is that how it's spelled??). I like to listen to the conversations around me. I like to think of it as observation.

As a writer, we're taught to observe our surroundings and take inspiration from them. Observation sounds better than eavesdropping right? So back, to eavesdropping. Lately, I've been "observing" other conversations, and my first response is to make snarky remarks in my head. I add my own thoughts like I'm a part of the conversation.

Just this last Monday, a girl in my Theory of Language class was freaking out that she had forgot her workbook for one of our checks. She kept saying over and over, " Fantastic! Just fantastic! I left it on my desk, it was done too!" She said it like 80 times!!! To everyone around her. Including me. I withheld a response because, it would have been too awesome for her.

The dude sitting in front of her felt no such compunction, and did his best to make her feel better. " That's okay," he said, " at least you have cool boots." The whiner ( is that too mean?) looked down and thoughtfully stared at her boots, "That's true," she said, " I do have cool boots".

Except that they weren't cool boots! They looked like freaking Yeti feet! Big clumps of brown and tan fur sewn on clunky brown boots. One might think someone had stuck a Pomeranian on each boot and called it Winter Wear.

So here's my question. Is it as awful to think these mean, but uproariously hilarious, thoughts as it is to actually say them out loud? Is it okay for me to find a small pleasure in making myself laugh at their expense, if they( the subjects) don't find out about it? Or is that being two-faced? This is getting all kinds of complicated...

1 comment:

webster said...

you must have class with your sister...i think your sister said something about it on fb...or was it you? Now i'm not sure. Funny though, bc I could so picture you having those thoughts and wanting to share but not...hey you have an oponion and your oponion is truth to you...right? did that make any sense?