Sunday, June 20, 2010

Boomer


It's Father's Day again, and I am so thankful for my pops. He's a great guy. Funny, generous, and spiritual.

We've had somewhat of a tumultuous relationship in the past, but we've grown closer since I've been at school.

I want to share some of my favorite memories of my dad that showcase what kind of man that he is.

1. When I was about 14 or 15, our family was going out to dinner at Outback, and Katie and I went to the bank with my dad while my mom went and got us a table. While standing in line at the ATM, a man approached my dad begging for help. I think he needed money for a plane ticket or something. He said that he could sell us some of his Armani leather jackets in exchange. I think it was 2/$200 or something like that. At first my dad politely declined, as we didn't have $200 just hanging around to spend on leather jackets. But this man was persistent, and sensing his genuine distress, my dad agreed and we walked a way with 2 lama skin Armani leather jackets.

Katie and I couldn't wait to tell my my mom, who was both distressed and resigned having known my dad most of her life. When we got home my dad had Katie look up online how much her could sell the jackets for, and through her searching she found a question forum all responding to the question. " Has anyone else been tricked by the lama leather guy?" or something of that nature. We laughed for hours after that, and any time he wore one of those jackets we would fake distress and yell, " Dad, you've killed Tina!" As in Tina, the lama from Napoleon Dynamite.

While this story is in the vault as a family favorite, it really taught me about helping others. My father has always extended that hand to the less fortunate and has always given more than he's received. He's said in the past something to the tune of, " You'll never regret helping someone, but you'll regret not doing so."

2. One time when I working with my dad in San Jose, we went to Chili's for dinner. After our food arrived and we started to eat I noticed that my dad was bringing his napkin up to his mouth. I wasn't alarmed because I thought he was just wiping, that changed when I saw him put it in his mouth and start to chew. I should say that my dad is blind if you don't know my family. He thought his napkin was part of his meal.

I died. I couldn't help it. There are few times that I have laughed harder. And instead of getting hurt and huffy, my dad laughed too. Great belly laughs and snorts ensued. Immediately following I called Katie, who was up at school, and told her the story. She laughed as well.

My dad taught me to laugh. He always said growing up, "Kristi, why are you so tense? You'll be dead at 25. Relax!" I take myself less seriously because of him, and I am appreciative of that.

He's an example in sacrifice and doing what needs to be done. I love him even though we don't always agree on everything. He's nothing but supportive in all the choices that I make and tells me when I'm being retarded. I love him and am more than grateful that he is my dad.

Happy Father's Day Pap-smear (family nickname)!!

5 comments:

Julie said...

I said happy father's day to your dad for you! We were over there for dinner tonight, and I went in your room and was missing you! I can't wait to see you soon.

webster said...

great stories, I don't think i've heard either one of those, funny and both for sure are your dad! I had to share with jed

Stacey said...

Pap-smear huh? I love a good nickname. Cute post. Your dad is generous and funny and I've enjoyed getting to know him over the years!

Come home soon and swim with us!

Kristi said...

I have a little over a month left, and then I'll be home! I can't wait!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.